It happened again. I opened a game with 1.d4 and was met with 1... f5 – The Dutch. Ugh! In Raetsky and Chetverick’s book “Petroff Defence” they joke that all chess openings are divided into two categories: 1) The Petroff, and 2) The Petroff Declined (1.d4, 1. c4, 1.Nf3, etc.). I am almost coming to think that it should be the Dutch and the Dutch declined. I HATE THE DUTCH!!!
When I open 1.d4 and then the reply comes 1...f5, I can (up to this day) pretty well be assured that I have just lost a point. I found a way (two ways in fact) around this by opening with either 1.c4 or 1.Nf3 against known Dutch players. However, how the heck can you know that someone is a Dutch player or not, unless you have heard them preaching the Dutch Gospel somewhere or have seen quite a few of their games?
I like kicking off a chess game with 1.c4 or 1.Nf3 (the English and the Reti respectively), but I really want to start with 1.d4. BUT... I am sick of loosing to the Dutch! And when I say sick of it, I mean sick like a consumptive leper with AIDS, pneumonia, and a bit of typhoid fever thrown in. Sick and freakin’ tired of it!!! Yellow fever, black plague, red death sick of it. I want to get all of my kindred spirits to open their windows and yell into the streets, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!” [RIP Sidney Lumet – “Network” is just one of the MASTERPIECES you left us with; we will always remember your work!]
So, as I came home dejected from the loss, I wondered what I could do. I cannot let this keep happening. Against all other replies to 1.d4 I feel fine. Why not the Dutch? Well, first off, the Dutch is what I would call a “specialty” opening. It is an opening usually employed by the converted. This special group who use it as their only weapon. The live and die by the Dutch. When they play me, they live a VERY happy life. I sit back and let them crush me. I cringe at somewhere between moves one and three that they stick their proud pawn on f5 (depending on move order). I cringe again when their knight makes a home on MY e4 square. The bile backs up in my throat and my anger builds as I play the Dutch player.
Things have to change!!!
And then I came to the OBVIOUS conclusion! (No, no dopey, I am not crossing over and becoming one of them.) I am, however, going to become a “Dutch Expert.” I am devoting the next two (at minimum) weeks to looking at the Dutch and learning it, knowing it, feeling it, and DEFEATING it!!!! “Death to the Dutch” is my new mission!!! I will learn their moves, and find better ones. I will learn their tactics, and find better ones. I will learn their strategies, and find better ones. I am on a mission. I will best the Dutch. I will kill the Dutch. I will not lose to the dreaded Dutch. For me, it will no longer be the “dreaded” Dutch! DEATH TO THE DUTCH!
Take 2. Totally commented on the wrong post first try:
ReplyDeleteAh, maybe we can have some joint Dutch study some time? I want more experience playing the Dutch as black, and you want more experience as white. We could play some practice games and help each other find the weaknesses in the other side! :)